There's a book by Maya Angelou entitled, I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings. It reminds me of hope. I recommend it, though it is rather difficult subject matter. Angelou embodies hope. I think if I could meet someone it might be her.
Romans 5:3-5 reminds me of hope as it relates to suffering.
What is hope though besides an abstract concept or maybe emotion?
It is far beyond the hope that a basketball player has as the last second shot hangs on the rim for an eternity and with a tilt either direction producing drastically different results.
It is far beyond the wishful ideations of what we might do if we were to fall into a great sum of money.
It seems to me hope is stashed in the idea that the outcome of ANY situation will glorify God, serve others, or draw us closer to Him. It is not the hope that we will gain or be blessed. If our goal in different situations is to rack up blessings or to have it inherently bless our lives, then I think we are on the wrong track.
I struggle to have hope. It seems to me that some things are perhaps too difficult to understand in a way that would allow us to have hope.
Heck, I don't know.
Jess.
Saturday, June 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Faith, hope, and charity. I don't think you can have one without the other.
Faith in Jesus Christ, as our Savior and Redeemer; hope in a better world, hope for eternal reward, hope for ______; and charity, the pure love of Christ. If you start with one, the others will follow.
"Whoso believeth in Christ might with surety hope for a better world, even a place at the right hand of God, which hope cometh of faith, maketh an anchor to the souls of men, which would make them sure and steadfast, always abounding in good works, being led to glorify God." -Ether 12:4
It seems that hope leads to faith which leads to love though. It seems like a logical sequencing. I think hope drives us to faith in a fallen world, but it is faith that reveals the love of God. Hope is the key to the rest.
Post a Comment