"Each of you should not only look to your own interests, but also to the interests of others."
After a long discussion of this section, this is what I gleaned:
This passage is particularly poignant when discussing how we should serve others. It is important to note that it does not say, "Disregard your own interests and needs." We have to take care of ourselves first before we are able to serve others. Is it okay to decline to serve others because it conflicts with our own interests? Personally, I think it is, and from here, it may be relevant to look at Phillipians 2:5-11.
Verses 1-4 set up what we should do to be humble and serve others. Verses 5-11 give Jesus as an example. Jesus, though he served others fully, never lost sight of his own interests/purposes (i.e. dying on the cross). If serving would have conflicted with Jesus' purpose of dying on the cross, then I doubt he would have served?
Is it okay to decline to serve in an area of the church if it does not align with one's purpose? I would say yes. If it does not fully align with the gifts that we are given, then we are likely not equipped to serve in that area. For example, would we ask someone to play the piano if they had no idea how to play the piano? No, of course not, and the thought of it is absurd. That person should serve where their gifts are best utilized, not where they can fill in a vacancy.
I think that there are times when (women especially) take on too much responsibility for meeting the needs of others and neglect their own interests. I would argue that they are not able to serve as well, but also they become resentful to their duties. If I dread doing something, then my heart is not really in the right place to serve.
And we have to realize that we are replacable and that we are a small speck of the larger equation.
yac.
Monday, December 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment